Sunday, September 13, 2009

In the Night

Sometime late at night or early morning, I awaken. The house is quiet. No one is awake but me. I am alone with my thoughts. The dog stirs. She looks at me with those dark knowing eyes.
This is the time when I must face the truth. All that is real presents it's ugly face to me. Clarity. I see all the petty nonsense from the previous day. I hate this time. I love this time. When the reality of all that has occurred during the day is relived. I can see clearer now. Facades come down. I am naked to myself. Exposed. Real. It is ok. This is the time when I can take a look at who I really am. Evaluate, reflect, refine my thoughts. Burn away the layer of vanity, false sense of security, and let my guard down. Let myself be ok with not knowing what tomorrow will bring. It is ok to fear. It is ok to be unsure. It is ok to know that you don't have it all together. It is ok. Because no one really does. You just are. That is all there is and it is ok. Now I can rest. I can let it all go. I look at my dog. She lays at my feet. She closes her big dark eyes as if saying to me rest and I do. It is only then that I submit and sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment